- Connecting via Bluetooth
- Connecting Via Optical Cable (Fiber Optic Cable)
- Connecting Via HDMI
It is a relatively straightforward task to connect your Vizio Soundbar to your Samsung TV and the good news is there are several ways to do it. Depending on the model of your soundbar and your TV, some methods will work better than others.
For instance, it is possible to make the connection using the red and white cables (RCA cables) employed by the older analog system. However, this is not recommended because the analog will not carry high-resolution audio effects.
Therefore, the end result is rather poor audio for an upmarket concept such as the Vizio soundbar / Samsung TV combo. In addition, some modern TVs no longer have ports to accommodate the RCA cables.
The three most effective connectivity options which we will examine in detail below, are Bluetooth, HDMI, and Fiber Optic.
The better two of these three state-of-the-art options are either the use of an HDMI cable or that of using an Optical cable (more commonly known as a Fiber Optic cable). Of these two options, HDMI is definitely the best choice, notwithstanding the added benefit of the low cost of an HDMI cable.
As an aside, with either of the best two options, you will normally be able to control your Vizio Soundbar using your Samsung TV remote, or you can purchase a separate universal remote that works on both devices.
You might be interested in the Best Soundbars Under $200.
Connecting via Bluetooth
Bluetooth is a simple and effective option to have, however it cannot produce the same sound quality as that of HDMI. One of the reasons for its popularity though is that it has the advantage of being totally wireless.
Bluetooth’s real disadvantage is that connectivity can easily be broken by power supply interruptions or interference from other electronic devices.
Connecting Your Vizio Soundbar to Your Samsung TV Using the Bluetooth:
- Press the Source button on the soundbar, and then set the soundbar to the BT setting which will then automatically change to BT Pairing after a few seconds, alternatively it will change to BT Ready if there is a connection record.
- When BT Ready appears, press and hold the Source button on the soundbar for more than 5 seconds to display BT Pairing again
- Once the soundbar is in pairing mode, use the remote to navigate to the Settings menu on the TV
- Select Sound and then select Sound Output
- Select Bluetooth Speaker List
- Select your Vizio soundbar from the list and then select Pair and Connect
You might be interested in the Best Soundbars Under $300.
Connecting Via Optical Cable (Fiber Optic Cable)
Optical cable, also known as Toslink cable or Fiber optic cable is widely used for data transmission where because of their efficiency, high transmission capacity, and the capability of transmitting high-quality digital sound perfectly they are rapidly replacing copper wire cables.
After the HDMI cable, Optical Cable is the next best option to use to connect your Vizio Soundbar to your Samsung TV, with the connection procedure being similar to that of the HDMI cable.
Connecting Your Vizio Soundbar to Your Samsung TV Using an Optical Cable:
- Insert one end of the optical cable to the Optical Out port on your Samsung TV
- Insert the opposite end of the Optical cable into the Digital Audio In (optical) port of your Vizio Soundbar
- Switch on your Vizio Soundbar and Samsung TV
- Press the Source button on the Soundbar, and then set the Soundbar to the D.IN. setting
- Press the “Input” button on your Vizio Soundbar and select Optical
- On your Samsung TV remote go to Menu then select Audio where you will see TV Speakers which you must turn OFF
- Using the same Audio option select Audio Out/Optical
Troubleshooting The Optical Cable Connection
After completing the above connecting procedure, if there is no sound from your Vizio Soundbar or the audio is coming from the TV speakers only, go to the Samsung TV Settings, Sound Settings, Expert Settings, and then change Digital Audio Output and HDMI to PCM.
If there is still no sound, then verify the audio source and audio output on your Vizio Soundbar and Samsung TV.
If you continue to have issues, here is How to Reset a Vizio Sound Bar.
Connecting Via HDMI
The HDMI cable system is available in basic HDMI and the more advanced HDMI ARC. Both reduce the number of cables required between your Vizio Soundbar and your Samsung TV.
The difference is that with HDMI ARC the Audio signals are able to travel in both directions to and from the speakers which will improve the sound quality.
The HDMI cable only works in one direction thus it will not transmit audio back to the original source. It must be noted that ARC does not support advanced audio file formats such as Dolby, TrueHD, DTS-HD, and Dolby Atmos.
Connecting Your Vizio Soundbar to Your Samsung TV Using an HDMI Cable:
- Insert one end of the HDMI cable into the HDMI port on your Vizio Soundbar
- Insert the opposite end of the cable into the HDMI port of your Samsung TV
- Turn ON both your Vizio Soundbar and Samsung TV
- Press the “Input” button on your Vizio Soundbar and select HDMI
- Change the Audio output on your Samsung TV to HDMI
Troubleshooting The HDMI Connection
After completing the above connecting procedure, if there is no sound from your Vizio Soundbar or the audio is coming from the TV speakers only, go to the Samsung TV Settings then to Sound Settings then to Expert Settings, and change Digital Audio Output and HDMI to PCM.
If there is still no sound, then verify the audio source and audio output on your Vizio Soundbar and Samsung TV are on the correct settings.
The Vizio Soundbar and the Samsung TV are individually excellent products of advanced technology. Together they make an outstanding contribution to the in-home Visual and Audio entertainment experience.
This article was last updated on February 18, 2022 .